Good Morning, and Happy Sunday! This week’s YouTube video comes from The Beauty Department again! With winter comes holidays and with holidays comes many special gatherings with friends and family. This video shows you how to create a super cute … Continue reading
In Wisconsin, autumn weather is just as unpredictable as any other time of the year. One day it’s nearing eighty degrees and the next day it drops to the low sixties. One thing is for certain: autumn weather means lots … Continue reading
One of the best things that could’ve happened to hair in fashion is the trend of simplicity. Rather than seeing complicated updo’s fill the runways and pages of our favorite magazines, we see a more undone version that is perfect … Continue reading
Good morning, Beauties! I am an absolute sucker for beauty books whether they are filled with jaw-dropping images or fantastic tips and tricks, I always find myself on the hunt for more knowledge. As I’m sure you all know, I … Continue reading
Being a cosmetology student, I am constantly scouring YouTube for different tutorials on hair and makeup. It’s a wonderful tool that many artists use to showcase different looks and techniques. It’s great for the consumer because it explains and demonstrates how to execute a look. It also has the benefit of watching as many times as you need to make sure that you get it down pat. Every Sunday I’d like to showcase a video that I love and that can be tried in the upcoming week!
This week’s video comes from Aveda, and it showcases Aveda’s Control Force Hairspray ($26). Control Force is a firm hold hairspray that doesn’t flake and has 24-hour humidity defense–perfect for summer! I love this video because it shows 7 different looks that can be created. They also used an entire can on this model and they were still able to brush and recreate without it getting flaky or dull. Way to go Aveda!!
Good Morning! Happy Sunday, everyone! This week’s video comes from, drum roll please, AVEDA! Yet again, I cannot get over their high quality tutorials, and I feel like they do a really fantastic job of making all their videos consumer friendly. This video focuses on three ways to create volume using their brand new product–Pure Abundance Style Prep ($24). I love this product because of it’s versatility. This product works by plumping every strand so that your hair will feel so much fuller. It also has a medium hold which allows your hair to maintain that volume all day. Another bonus about this product is that it can be used like a dry shampoo to revive your look. I use this constantly on my fringe when they start to feel a little too dirty, but the rest of my hair feels fine. You just spritz it in, re-blowdry, and go! For anyone that does up-do’s–this is a must have in your kit for those with slippery locks. It gives the perfect amount of grip without weighing everything down with loads of product. Enjoy!
Good morning everyone! I wanted to take a moment to show some of the products that I am currently loving. My goal is to turn this into a monthly post because there are so many wonderful products out there that I’d love to share. With winter rapidly approaching here in the Midwest, you’ll see that many of my faves have to do with combating dryness. Here they are! Enjoy!
1. Benefit Cosmetics “They’re Real” Mascara ($23)–This is my new favorite mascara. I have very sensitive eyes, so I typically always purchase my mascara from a makeup counter or store rather than using a drug store brand. With this mascara, it honestly looks like the picture that they have on their box. The first day that I wore it, one of my classmates actually asked if I was wearing false lashes that day. This is a must have for anyone, but especially if you love your lashes to be full and lengthened without looking spidery or clumpy.
2. Aveda Beautifying Compsition ($21)–This is something that everyone absolutely needs. It is an oil that can be used for your nails, skin, and scalp. I use this bad boy as my moisturizer during the winter time, but I also love it as a pre-cleanse before I wash my face at night (it dissolves your makeup and cushions your skin), or as a scalp treatment or hair treatment whenever I’m feeling too dry. Beautifying Composition saves me every time I go on a beach vacation–it deeply moisturizes any sunburn to prevent peeling. There really aren’t enough good things to say about this product–I adore it!
3. Smashbox Bronze Lights in Sunkissed Matte ($29)–bronzer out at a friend’s house and fell in love with it! I love that it seems to have more yellow in it rather than orange so it truly does look like a natural sun-kissed glow. I also love that it is matte. Shimmery bronzer is great for the summer time when looking dewy and shimmery is in, but when you want to contour or just add a little warmth to your complexion, than this product is the way to go.
4. LUSH Love Lettuce Fresh Face Mask ($6.95)–This mask is a skin saver! It has Lavender to help to soothe the skin, Tea Tree to help cleanse any impurities, and crushed Almonds to help and exfoliate the skin. I love this because I have sensitive skin, but I also have some issues with blemishes. This mask smells wonderful, used all natural ingredients, and it makes my skin more radiant. I love their fresh masks, and I would encourage anyone to go check out their stores and see what they have for them.
5. Mason Pearson Brush ($120)–This brush is definitely an investment piece because of its price tag, but I’ll tell you that once you do, you’ll never regret it. Mason Pearson brushes are boar bristle brushes so they help to stimulate the scalp and distribute natural oils throughout your hair to give you amazing shine and smoothness. This is my favorite brush to use when combing out hair that I have just curled with a curling iron–it gives beautiful beach waves. I also use this brush for blowdrying my fringe–it does all the work for me so I never have to use a flat iron. The quality is fantastic, and if you take good care of it, I doubt that you’d ever have to buy another brush again.
I have turned into quite the little Braid-zilla… Braids are so prominent in fashion right now! Almost any age can wear some type of braid depending on the style and placement. I’m just going to post a few of my favorites right now! Enjoy!
I was talking to some friends today about how sometimes, men just become confused about what actually looks good on them. True, some men are programmed with a natural eye for fashion, but for the others, well…they just need some guidance. As hairdressers, it’s a requirement that you are honest to your guest about their appearance and what will suit them–obviously good tact is needed here, but a good hairdresser can really enhance the beauty that is already there–you want the frame to enhance the photo just as you’d like your hair to enhance your features and personality.
This year, for men, many of the hairstyles that are being seen focus on the truth about what is on your head. It’s about working with your natural texture and embracing it. Most of the haircuts have the same general idea–tight on the sides and natural on the top, or if your texture calls for it–natural all over! Here are some examples:
All of these looks will work fabulous for men because they don’t require much time to get ready because they are working with what you’ve already got going on–you don’t need to load up on product or use a blow dryer or flat iron–just be yourself. Some of the cuts do require more upkeep than a typical haircut–something like the undercut or cropped sides option would require more trips to the salon because you want to keep those sides tight to the head…it would definitely be worth it to look that good though!
Some of these ideas may be extremely out of the box for some guys, but as I always say–go for it! You only live once–why not look fabulous along the way? Enjoy!